The new restricted visitation is a result of new terms imposed by the State Land Board of Colorado, not Aiken Audubon. We are working to make the best of the situation and we appreciate your patience as we work to comply with the new requirements of the lease.
Please note the following access changes at Chico Basin Ranch:
- The last day to visit Chico under the current policy is Feb 29th. The ranch will then close to birders.
- Visitation in 2024 will be allowed ONLY: April 29 – June 2, and Sept 2 through Oct 6. The ranch will be closed to birders the remainder of the year.
- Birders will need to register and pay ahead of time, likely up to 7 days in advance, through a system to be set up by Aiken Audubon.
- Visitation will be capped at 20 birders/day, from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., and access will be limited to the banding station, HQ and Rose Pond. The fee will be $15/person.
- You’ll be allowed to register 7 days prior to a visit, and groups may be allowed to register possibly 30 days ahead, though that’s not yet been worked out.
- Consider signing up for Aiken’s emails (monthly) to receive regular updates.
Contact Linda Hodges with any questions: [email protected]